This feature is a huge time-saver, so I decided to make a little howto about it. Basically, click on a spot in the source file or in the DVI output, and Kile will take you to the corresponding spot in the other file. Kile is a KDE-based LaTeX editor.
- Open some LaTeX file in Kile
- Open "Settings -> Configure Kile..."
- Click "Tools -> Build -> LaTeX"
- Select the "Modern" configuration
- Set the options to -interaction=nonstopmode -src %source
- Click "ForwardDVI" in the list
- Select the "Embedded Viewer" configuration
- Click OK
- Click "LaTeX" in the build toolbar menu
- Click "ForwardDVI" in the view toolbar menu
- Open "Settings -> Configure Viewer..."
- Click "Editor"
- Select Kile as the editor
- Click OK
- Scroll to some interesting location in the document and hold down Shift while left-clicking on that location. It should jump to that spot in the LaTeX source.
- Scroll to some other location in the LaTeX source and click "ForwardDVI". It should jump to that location in the DVI.
Let me know if you run into any trouble with those instructions; hopefully they're helpful to some of you!