Following are links to websites providing access to job postings and other recommended resources for your job search. Additional resources are available for registered students on Symplicity.
Engineering Career Services has partnered with other career services offices across campus to provide access to Job Search 101 videos, a series of short videos that provide advice and tips on the job search, from resumes to career fairs to interviews. You can view these videos at
https://www-s.careercenter.uiuc.edu:4444/resources/JobSearch101.asp?id=2. When you click on the link, you will be asked to enter your Bluestem login and password.
Salary and Negotiation Information
* http://www.jobsearchintelligence.com/NACE/salary-calculator-intro The National Association of Colleges and Employers offers the most accurate compensation data available. Click here to access the NACE Salary Calculator Center.
Engineering Career Links
- Aero Industry Jobs
- American Council of Engineering Companies: a national organization devoted to business and advocacy interests of engineering companies. This site provides job postings from engineering companies and an opportunity for candidates to post resumes.*
- Career Tunnel: a staffing resource center that provides job listing and resume database access opportunities in multi-disciplinary fields of transportation, city and regional planning, and environmental planning and sciences.*
- civilengineeringcentral.com: civil engineering related jobs. *
- Construction Jobs: provides free access to nearly 300 websites and job boards featuring jobs in the construction industry.*
- Dice.com: the leading career site for technology and engineering professionals.*
- Engineering Central: job postings for chemical, civil, electrical, industrial, manufacturing and mechanical engineers.
- Engineer.info: access to entry level and experienced positions for full-time, internship, and co-op opportunities.
- engineer.net: free job listing site for engineers with entry level job categories that cater to recent engineering graduates.
- Engineering Jobs by State: a link to engineering jobs and technical positions by state. Quick links for Chemical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Industrial Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Process Engineer, Project Engineer, Software Engineer, and Structural Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering Jobs
- SkillPROOF: systematically surveys more than 200,000 job openings directly obtained from large U.S. and foreign employers. Various reports are available for a fee.
- www.tinytechjobs.com: Nanotechnology, Microtechnology, Biotechnology, and Information Technology Jobs for all engineering fields.
International Student Resources
- Going Global: Use the H1Base section to identify American companies who have hired international students in the past. This site includes world-wide job openings, internship listings, industry profiles and country-specific career information on topics such as: work permit/visa regulations, resume writing guidelines and examples, employment trends, salary ranges, networking groups, cultural/interviewing advice, corporate profiles and worldwide job listings. (requires Univ. of Illinois bluestem login).
- Intl Employers 3-2012.xlsx: listing of current employers who have recently hired internatinoal students on CPT or OPT.
- INTLconnect: "Connecting International Students to Their Future Careers" This website is based out of The Career Center at the University of Illinois. Design to help international students in career development. The site is full of information and lists upcoming workshops put on through The Career Center.
Education/Academic Career Links
- Academic360: a meta-collection of Internet resources that have been gathered for the academic job hunter. It includes links to faculty, staff, and administrative job postings and is not restricted to teaching positions. Also includes many links to the career pages of many professional associations in Engineering, Computer Science, IT, and other related areas.
- AcademicCareersOnline: enables you to search for faculty, post doc, researcher, and administrative positions nationwide.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: browse jobs throughout the U.S. by position type, discipline/field, state/region, or institution name.
- Higher Ed Jobs: listings of jobs in higher education by category, location, and type.
- StudentAffairs: guide for the student affairs profession. job listings in higher education, besides faculty.
The ITA Fall Challenge actively addresses the need for technology talent to grow the Illinois economy. Illinois has the 6th largest technology talent gap in the nation, with more open positions than available qualified talent. While the local and regional universities nurture and train some of the most talented people in technology, we lose far too many of them to other areas of the country. Developing an awareness of the many opportunities available right here in Illinois, the ITA Fall Challenge makes the introduction between students and industry. Students are invited to submit an application and resume to our database which will be accessed by companies such as GrubHub, Groupon, Allscripts, Centro, Backstop Solutions, Model Metrics, GE Intelligent Platforms, SPR Companies and many more. For more information and to submit your resume go to www.itafallchallenge.org and click “submit your resume”.
Champaign-Urbana Area Employment Opportunities
- Champaign County Employers: the Champaign County Economic Development Corporation provides access to a listing of advanced technology companies in the Champaign-Urbana area as well as a listing of the area's top employers. Additional technology career resources and information is also available.
- Research Park job opportunities: the Research Park job board has listings of internships and positions available in the University's Research Park. Many companies in the Park hire students full-time during the summer and part-time during school terms. There is also a Research Park career fair and recruiting event held in the spring of each year.
General Job Search Resources
- Information on the Class of 2012-2013 salaries and placement statistics.
- Jobpostings e-magazine: new entry-level jobs and career information for students and recent graduates.
- CollegeRecruiter.com: a primary information source for college students, grads and recent graduates who are seeking employment, continuing education and business opportunities.
- Tech-Centric: job seekers can search for jobs locally or internationally, and can pinpoint the jobs that suit them based on keywords, skills, location, and information technology experience.
- ScienceJobs.com: access to nearly 1,500 of the latest jobs in science, from biochemistry and biomedical engineering to nanotechnology and quality control.
- Job Source: searches through millions of entry-level and intern/co-op positions from thousands of websites, including Monster, CareerBuilder, Hotjobs, and Craigslist. There are no charges associated with using the site and no registration is required.
- Hirewell: a techical search firm that provides career counseling at no charge to the job seeker.
- Human Rights Campaign: provides information on companies that include GLBT people in their non-discrimination policies and/or provides benefits to GLBT employees and their partners.
- My-IT-Career: access to Information Technology jobs from Monster, CareerBuilder, and 5,000+ career sites as well as leading IT learning and certification providers. Also provides career advice and information on industry trends and demand for IT professional roles.
- CareerJet - Job Search Engine: In one simple search, receive access to a huge selection of jobs sourced from internet sites.
- JOBipedia.org: is a free website where students and recent graduates can ask questions about job searching and get answers directly from experienced recruiting professionals. Simply login, post any career-related question and a hiring professional from one of our member companies will get back to you within one business day. To view list of member companies visit our website.
- Wetfeet: Company profiles and snapshots of company's history, business, profitability, and jobs.
- Glassdoor: an inside look at salaries, reviews, and interview questions for over 28,000 employers.
- Riley Guide: Web's premier directory of job, career, and education information sources available online. We curate the best online resources and list them as pointers to visitors. To date we have pointers to over 1600 helpful web sites, each being personally reviewed by our editors for quality and most including a brief synopsis.
- How to ace a phone interview: See how to handle a phone interview.